Why Genetic testing?
Before I answer that, let me tell me why I became a DNAylsis Practitioner…
When I was 18 months old,my mom passed away from cancer. When I was in my thirties, I lost both my brothers and my Dad in the space of 7 years. Thoracic aneurysm, Chirosis of the liver and brain aneurysm. This started a cascade of my own health problems with discovering I had Celiac Disease.
It was only in 2022 that I heard about Genetic testing and the idea fasinated me. I took my first genetic test and was blown away by what I learned about my own genetic results. Along with the knowledge comes the power we have over how those genes express themselves. We can’t change our genes but we can change the outcome of how they react according to our diet, nutrition, exercise, lifestyle and environment (also known as Epigenetics).
I could see what I was doing right and what I still could improve on. I discovered some genetic mutations that all made sense and gave me the reason why I had suffered with certain things.
Within 3 months of implementing various changes, I saw a HUGE difference in my health,both physically and mentally. This would never have happened if it was not for this genetic testing.
I keep thinking about my dear family members who, if only they could of had this amazing opportunity, they too could of possibly lived a healthier and longer life.
What is Genetic Testing about?
- Genetic Testing gives you insight into your unique code that lies within you. It reveals the secrets you would otherwise never know.
- Genetic testing tells you what genetic variants you have and gives you the recommended interventions you can take to optimize your health.
- You can’t change your genetic code but you DO have some say over how your genes respond according to what you do in your everyday life.
DNA Core will help you discover the power of personalised health and wellbeing.
It focuses on 4 Important areas:
- Biological Processes
- Diet and Weight Management
- Exercise response
It focuses on Key biological pathways that govern overall health and how genetic weaknesses in these pathways can predispose one to disease.
- Lipid Metabolism: Heart Health depends on a complex balance of environmental, dietary and genetic factors. Certain genes influence Cholesterol levels (good and bad) are are associated with a higher risk of heart disease.
- Methylation: Folate and B vitamins help make new DNA (called methylation)
- Detoxification: The removal of harmful substances from your body is called the detoxification system.
- Inflammation: Although inflammation is a normal immune response, when these genes are not switched off, the inflammatory response continues which can increase common disorders like obesity, heart disease, arthritis and IBD.
- Oxidative stress: Free radicals can cause DNA damage. We need anti-oxidants to to balance free radicals so that they are no longer harmful.
- Bone Health: Our bones continuously dissolve and create new bone tissue. Genetic factors play an important role in determining bone health.
- Insulin Sensitivity: Insulin resistance plays an important role in common disorders like obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.
- Food responsiveness: Iron, caffeine sensitivity,salt sensitivity, bitter taste, alcohol metabolism, lactose intolerance and Gluten Intolerance
DNA Mind reports on variants in genes that have significant associations with mental health including risk for addictive behavior, cognitive decline, depression, anxiety and mood regulating.
The test is suitable for those who are concerned about a family history of, or are personally suffering from mental illness, specifically around addiction, cognitive decline, or mood disorders.
DNA Diet is designed to guide the personalisation of diet and lifestyle recommendations in order to manage weight. It provides insight into which diet type (low carbohydrate, low fat, or Mediterranean diet) would be most suitable for you according to your unique genetic makeup.
The DNA Diet test is suitable for any individual who is trying to lose weight, or has experienced weight loss resistance in the past, or has tried many different diet types without success, or who simply wants to improve their weight management outcomes. There is no one diet or way of eating that is correct for everyone. DNA Diet will help you understand how your genetic profile can impact your response to different eating plans and which type of diet is best for you
DNA Active genetic test is designed to offer a guided personalised approach to training and nutritional recommendations to optimize athletic performance. It also provides insight into power and endurance potential, genetic risk for soft tissue injuries and how to ensure optimal recovery time between high intensity sessions.
The DNA Active report is your handy reference guide to weight management, exercise responsiveness, nutrient requirements, and a host of other factors that will combine to help you reach your performance goals.
DNA Sport is a genetic test designed to guide the personalisation of exercise and training recommendations.
It is recommended for anyone looking to get maximum benefit from their training as well as understanding their risk for soft tissue injuries and optimal recovery times.
DNA Skin is a genetic test that offers insight into key areas that influence skin health, offering personalised topical, nutraceutical, diet, and lifestyle recommendations for improved outcomes.
value for any individual who wants to address skin concerns including elasticity, pigmentation, breakouts, accelerated ageing due to sun damage and pollution, and sensitive skin issues.
The key pathways it looks at are:
- skin elasticity
- antioxidant status and environmental pollution
- UV aging
- skin sensitivities
GrowBaby is a genetic test for moms-to-be, designed to help you better understand the functioning of key biological pathways that influence maternal and fetal health, and how these relate to the major birth phenotypes.
The report provides valuable insights into how you can optimise health outcomes for mom and baby using gene-based personalized diet, supplement, and lifestyle interventions.
It is ideal for Any woman who plans to conceive, or who have experienced issues with regards to conception and pregnancy.
The report can determine an individuals’ genetic potential for resilience and provide ways in which intrinsic strengths can be amplified and existing weaknesses reduced. The gene-based action steps you will receive in your report center on highly individualized lifestyle strategies that leverage diet, targeted activity, lifestyle changes, and nutritional supplements.
It is ideal for individuals who want to cope better under stressful or demanding conditions. DNA Resilience can help enhance your mental, emotional and physical health.
DNA Resilience reports on the seven key molecular areas that have the greatest influence on resilience:
- stress (HPA Axis)
- the neurotrophic pathway
- neuropeptide Y
Medcheck gives you insights into your responsiveness to different medications and the likelihood of side effects and treatment failure.
Medcheck gives insight into how a patient metabolizes, transports and binds specific drugs, which in turn allows physicians to prescribe those medications that are most likely to prove effective whilst minimizing side effects.
Such a personalized approach to medicine has the power to produce better results, particularly for individuals whose genetic profile puts them at risk of experiencing either treatment failure or an adverse reaction from a given drug.
*It is important to confirm that the medication you are questioning is included in the Medcheck report as this test does not report on all medication, but rather only medication for which there is sufficient scientific evidence linking the metabolism of the medication to a genetic variant.
The DNA Risk HLA-Related Autoimmunity (HLA test) looks at gene variants related to common autoimmune diseases and provides healthcare practitioners ‘diagnostic insight’ for patients already suffering from an autoimmune disorder, or who are identified as at risk due to a family history of disease and exposure to environmental risk factors.
The DNA Risk HLA-Related Autoimmunity test is suitable for individuals suffering from an autoimmune disorder, or where an autoimmune disorder is suspected. Individuals identified as being at risk due to a family history of disease and/or exposure to environmental risk factors should also consider this test.
THE AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES DISCUSSED IN THE REPORT INCLUDE:
- Alopecia areata (AA)
- Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)
- Coeliac disease (CD)
- Graves’ disease (GD)
- Hashimoto thyroiditis (HT)
- IgA nephropathy (IgAN)
- Lyme borreliosis
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Idiopathic membranous nephropathy (IMN)
An increased lifetime exposure to oestrogen, and unbalanced oestrogen metabolism, is a strong risk factor in the development of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer, as well as oestrogen dominant disorders.
The report provides an analysis of the genes involved in the process of oestrogen metabolism, and details appropriate diet, nutraceutical, and lifestyle recommendations to optimize this process.
he DNA Oestrogen test is suitable for women and men who suffer from oestrogen-dominant conditions and who have higher lifetime exposure to oestrogens such as HRT and oestrogen-based contraceptives, oestrogen metabolites and other carcinogens.
In addition, the test can be highly beneficial for:
- Women or men with a strong family history of breast, ovarian, colon or prostate cancer
- Women who suffer from oestrogen-dominant conditions such as endometriosis, premenstrual syndrome, and uterine fibroid tumors
- Women considering oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapy or bio-identical hormone supplementation
- Women who are considering invitro fertilisation or who have been diagnosed with oestrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.
DNA Smile is a genetic test designed to give insights into the state of your oral health and your predisposition for developing periodontal disease, tooth caries and other systemic diseases.
The DNA Smile report offers targeted, personalised diet, nutraceutical, lifestyle, and oral health recommendations to offset possible genetic weaknesses and optimize oral and systemic health outcomes.
DNA Pain is a genetic test designed to enhance the successful and sustained management of chronic pain.
By analyzing the genes involved in biological pathways known to affect the risk of chronic pain; the report will identify the key areas that are contributing to chronic pain, and more importantly, how to alleviate these symptoms through personalised diet, supplement, exercise, and lifestyle interventions.
- Individuals suffering from a chronic pain condition, including fibromyalgia or musculoskeletal pain, who would like to take a personalised and holistic approach to pain management.
- Individuals suffering from comorbid conditions associated with chronic pain, such as anxiety or depression
How does it work?
Fill out the Form below with your details and what test/s you would like done. I will send you an invoice upon which you can make a payment. You will receive a courier with your test. (please note if you live outside of South Africa, the testing is done by DNALife) If you are doing a blood spot test, follow the instructions that are in the box. If you are doing a cheek swab DNA test. Please do not eat, drink, smoke or chew gum for at least 1 hour before taking your sample. The test is then picked up by the courier company.
Your results will be ready in 2-3 weeks. As the practitioner, I will be sent your results to review and compile my report. I then will contact you for a feedback consultation which will be over zoom.
Your first genetic Test (depending on which one it is starts at R2650) thereafter each subsequent test is R600. Your blood sample is only taken once, no matter how many tests you get done. Please note the DNA CORE is R3750
Payment can be done via Yoco, Paypal or EFT. Proof of payment must be emailed to me.
DNAlysis is a SANAS and ISO accredited laboratory.