What you need to know about Serotonin

What is Serotonin?

Serotonin is also known as 5-hydroxytriptamine, is a neurotransmitter that is derived from tryptophan.


Tryptophan is an essential amino acid. Essential meaning that your body cannot produce it, you need to get it in through food sources such as chicken, eggs, fish, milk, bananas and cheese.

What is the role of serotonin?

  • it influences learning and memory
  • it contributes towards happiness and reward
  • it is involved in physiological processes such as sleep, behavior and appetite.
  • it also has biological processes including cardiovascular function, bowel motility, and bladder control

Where in the body is it made?

It is mainly found in the GI tract, as well as blood platelets and the central nervous system.

90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. The remaining 10% of serotonin is produced by neurons located in the CNS.

Increasing Serotonin naturally

  • improving your gut health
  • eating tryptophan rich foods (eggs, cheese, pineapple, salmon, brazil nuts, chicken, milk)
  • getting sunlight first thing in the morning
  • regular exercise
  • having quality sleep every night
  • spending time with loved ones


How your genes are involved

The DNA mind Test looks at your Serotonergic pathway. There are two main genetic alleles that are taken into account. Some people have alleles that repress the transcriptional process. This causes a boost in the 5-HT1A activity which leads to a negative feedback and thus less serotonin signaling which means you lack enough serotonin. Contact me for more information on your genetic test.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *