This is something I have been practicing for a while and I find the benefits are many, to name a few: feeling more calm, energized and sleeping better on days I do it.
Here are some other benefits:
• Increases blood flow because it causes the blood vessels to constrict where the area is submerged, thus directing the blood flow to your organs.
• After emerging from cold water, the blood vessels expand, oxygen and nutrient rich blood gets pumped back into your tissues, removing waste and lowering inflammation
• Speeds up resting metabolic rate and stimulates the release of catecholmines which are compounds released by your nervous system that activate your immune system
• Helps reduce pain and post exercise soreness
• Can help ease feelings of depression and anxiety-probably due to the extra blood flow to the brain
• The sympathetic nervous system is activated so you feel more energized.
• 3-5 minutes is enough to feel the benefits.
Give it a go and see how you feel.